Importance And Benefits Of Good Nutrition
- April 13,2022
- 2 Min Read
One of the keys to a healthy life is opting for a healthy diet and proper nutrition. Wellness is an active process of making the right choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life. It's essential because as we age, regular exercise and proper nutrition can help prevent various ailments, including obesity, cardiovascular condition, and other diseases. Let's explore the importance of a good diet.
What happens if we don't eat healthily?
Various ailments can get to our bodies if we don't eat healthily. It can impact our daily health and well-being, contribute to stress and fatigue, and our ability to live an enjoyable and active life.
- Being overweight or obese: Overeating without thinking about its nutritious value may increase weight and obesity. All of which can be avoided through mindful, healthy eating.
- Heart diseases and stroke: Two leading causes are: high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Consuming a high amount of sodium can increase blood pressure and the risk for heart diseases and stroke. Hence, the Centres of Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) recommends an intake of less than 2,300 mg of sodium a day.
- Similarly, total cholesterol levels should be kept at below 200 mg/dl.
- Type-2 diabetes: People who tend to overeat or are overweight are at a higher risk of developing type-2 diabetes. Over time, the body may be unable to use the insulin it makes.
- Cancer: Eating unhealthy and being overweight also puts one at the risk of some cancers. As per the CDC, excess weight and obesity are associated with at least 13 types, including breast cancer in postmenopausal women, endometrial (uterine) cancer, and colorectal cancer. These cancers make up 40% of all cancers diagnosed.
- Some other risks: Poor nutrition, unhealthy eating habits can lead to tooth decay, osteoporosis, depression, and eating disorders.
How can we stay healthy and avoid these diseases & associated comorbidities?
By choosing to stay healthy, we can take various preventive health measures and lead a life of wellness.
- Plan before eating: it's always wise to plan our meals ahead of time. By doing so, we won't run out of options when hungry.
- Read the labels: Make sure to read the labels on all the packed foods that we purchase. The nutrition details are always mentioned on the label.
- Drink plenty of water: Replace packed soda and coke beverages for water.
- Light exercise/ walking daily: To stay healthy, we must always ensure inculcating daily exercise or at least 30 min of walking in our routine.
- Moderation is the key: We should always opt for smaller portions; eat two servings of fruits and five servings of vegetables daily.
- Limit snack foods & avoid binge eating
At Suburban Diagnostics, we offer nutrition screening, assessment, intervention and counselling for corporate clients and walk-in patients. Patients can discuss their reports and seek advice.
The nutritionist takes detailed dietary feedback and discusses the need for modifications.
Our Key Therapy Areas Of Service are:
Nutrition counselling (Medical Nutrition Therapy) comprises of:
- Diabetic care: Type 1, Type 2
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Weight Management
- Reducing risk for Heart conditions
- Blood Pressure
- Celiac Disease
- Food allergies
- Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Thyroid disorders
- Lactose Intolerance
- Pediatric Nutrition
- Women's Health pre and postnatal nutrition; PCOS
- Age-related conditions
- Wellness – Vegetarian nutrition, sports nutrition, general preventive nutrition
Counselling also includes:
- Assessing patient's nutritional status and determining individual dietary needs
- Improvement in appetite and food intake to reduce the risk of nutritional deficiencies
- Counteracting undesirable weight loss
- Reducing symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, occurring with or after meals, by helping the patient identify problematic foods in the diet