‘Suburban Diagnostics is revolutionizing Microbiology with the help of advanced machinery and speedy diagnosis.
Dr. Shaheen Shaikh – Microbiologist
- MD. Microbiology from KEM hospital
- B.B.S from T.N. Medical College
- Infection Disease Course from WISCONSIN University
- TB diagnosis, drug resistance in infections.
- Ably supported by a well qualified team of technicians who are technically sound and updated.
- Set Up – Comprises of 4 different rooms with independent air flow.
- TB processing room with Bio safety cabinet level 2 with level 3 practices exclusive for TB culture processing.
- Bacteriology processing room exclusive for aerobic cultures processing.
- Media preparation room exclusively to maintain the sterility of media prepared in house.
- VITEK 2 Compact
- BacT / ALERT
- GeneXpert / MTB / RIF
- Hain Test
- BACTEC MGIT 320
VITEK 2 Compact
- Culture, Automated Identification and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing
- VITEK 2 Compact is an automated system for bacterial and fungal identification and anti microbial susceptibility
- A smart card is the backbone of this system. Identification is based on 64 biochemicals
- Anti microbial susceptibility (both bacteria and yeast) is deduced with the help of MIC values
|Traditional Method||VITEK 2 Compact|
|Basic Technique||Conventional disc diffusion method||MIC (Minimal Inhibitory Concentration)|
|Nature of Processing||Manual||Automated|
|Accuracy of Results||Relatively Less||Very High|
|Availability of Results||48 Hours||36 Hours|
|Chances of delay due to repetitions||More||Less|
|Standardization process||Lengthy and Manual||Well defined and automated|
|Fungal Culture||Needs separate culturing process||By default in the process|
BacT / ALERT
Automated Blood Culture System
- BacT / ALERT is an automated system for blood cultures both bacterial and fungal using colorimetric technique
- Special blood bottles containing Polymeric Beads for growth in patients on antibiotics
Genexpert / MTB / RIF
- TB PCR for Sputum Samples
- Results obtained in 90 minutes
- Detects Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and Rifampicin Resistance
- Key advantages are faster detection, specific (99.5%) and sensitive (90%)
- Highly sensitive for detecting MTB even in Smear negative sputum specimens
- WHO endorsed test for sputum
HAIN Test – New Genotype MTBDR plus improved version 2.0
- Line Probe Assay
- Molecular detection of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis genome
- Rapid test for detection of 1st line drug resistance (Rifampicin – RIF & Isoniazid-INH)
- Results obtained in 8 hours
- Processing of samples is now possible directly from pulmonary sample – sputum, bronchial aspirates both smear positive as well as smear negative samples
BACTEC MGIT 320
- TB Culture Testing
- Uses liquid culture media to grow Mycobacteria, as against conventional LJ method which uses solid culture media
- Uses sensitive fluorescence technology based on oxygen quenching
- Provides culture results in 10 to 14 days, while the conventional LJ method yields results in 28 – 42 days
- Provides information on susceptibility of Mycobacteria to 13 drugs (1st, 2nd and 3rd line TB drugs) in 2-3 weeks
MRSA Screening Test
- MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus resistant to many drugs including Penicillin, Cephalosporins and Carbapenems
- Indications – Screening is done in preoperative cases in transplants, implants and cardiac surgeries
- Time Taken : 48 to 72 hours
Air testing of operation theatres
- Uses Automated Air Samplers as well as swabs from 6-8 different sites of the O.T.
- Air samplers actively sample the air in the O.T by pulling in air through a vacuum and the air strikes the blood agar plate placed in it. The number of colonies on the agar plate after 48 hours of incubation gives an indication of the sterility of air in the operation theatre
Result: 48 hours.
* Appointment needs to be taken a day prior
* It can measure both the bacteria and fungi
Water Sterility Test
The water department in India treats water for drinking, bathing and cooking with chlorine to kill disease-causing micro-organisms. But the treated water may get mixed with many contaminants especially in the monsoon season rendering the treatment ineffective
Micro-organisms responsible for waterborne diseases
- Salmonella typhi
- Vibrio cholera
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis E
At Suburban Diagnostics testing is done for bacterial contamination.
- Requirement: 100 ml of water. (2 bottles of sterile container of 50 ml capacity)
- Method: Membrane Filtration Method (recommended method for water testing)
- Turnaround time: 48-72 hours
Application of testing of water
- Household water for daily use